Chai tea is a mix of sweet and spicy (cinnamon) and these muffins are infused with the flavors of the tea. The longer you steep the tea the better for more amazing chai-essence. These muffins make a great afternoon treat with a cup of Chai Latte on the side. Enjoy!
1 cup coconut milk or any non-dairy milk you prefer
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
¼ cup grape seed oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup spelt flour
¾ cup brown rice flour
¼ cup almond flour
2½ tsp cinnamon
1¼ tsp ginger
¼-1/2 tsp allspice
1. In a medium sauce pot bring coconut milk to a simmer. Add tea bags and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and steep for 15+ minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Strain the coconut milk into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining wet ingredients and whisk to combine.
4. In a separate mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until well combined.
6. Divide batter into lined muffin pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until the muffins have set and a toothpick comes out clean.
[Editors Note: Bigelow Tea has a variety of Chai teas including Vanilla, Chocolate, and Caramel which would all work nicely with this recipe but the Bigelow Spiced Chai Tea Bags would be the best.]